Tuesday, December 16, 2008

In the race

As I am in the marathon that is the period of newborn-ness, I am beginning to lose a bit of stamina and am recalling the mental race of watching the clock again. Feed baby, count the time I have until the next feeding to sleep/ do laundry/ cook/ etc. This time is not as bad as the 1st baby as I have a very distracting 3 year old I still have to pay (extra) attention to at this time. It is especially acute in the evenings when dh comes home, the nanny is gone and I am trying to get dinner/ feed baby/ bathe 3 year old/ control chaos. My dh is very very good about entertaining wee one so I am grateful for that, but I feed off any anxiety or stress on his/ her part. I have heard this is often the worse part of the day for many families.

So, I am trying to get some perspective on this too, all of this. Life for me, has often been hard and so I don't expect the easy. College and med school were hard, residency was hard, divorce was hard, working up the courage to get married again was hard, getting pregnant with #1 was hard, going through a cancer scare last year was hard, etc. Some may look at my life and think I have it easy and perhaps I have compared to the trials so many others have. However, I am at the point in my life that I have some control sometimes over my options. I can rearrange/ reconfigure/ add/ subtract/ change things to make life easier. The trick is to figure out what may work.

1 comment:

Erica Kain said...

Oh sister, I'm sorry to hear you are truly in the trenches. The initial excitement gives way to seemingly endless drudgery, doesn't it? Take heart, there is a light -- really faint, but it's there -- at the end of the tunnel. That baby will sleep in heavenly peace through the night someday!