Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Bon Appetit

This post is in response to a question by Frances on what our kids are eating these days and how to help them eat more/ better. As you will see, I will be reading, with interest, the responses to her post.

This week, my wee one is eating:

Fruit Loops (must be dropped onto the carpet and then picked up into her hand and then shoved into her mouth so she can barely chew)

Grapes (halved by Mom to avoid choking). Currently she is limited to 8 grapes a sitting to avoid gastric upset/ diarrhea diapers.

Small spoonfuls of rice or oatmeal (no more than 3-4 a meal)

Eggs, just the yolks please

Frozen, Italian Style Meatballs simmered in tomato sauce or sweet and sour sauce

Ice cream (fed by Daddy or Mommy)

Macaroni and Cheese. Prefers to pick up in hand by herself.

Small trees of Broccoli (must be simmered on stove with a bit of chicken broth...does not like microwaved kind)

Nutter Butter bite sized cookies pilfered out of large bag in pantry

Milk/ Hot Chocolate/ Juicy Juice Fruit Punch/ Yoplait Yogurt Nouriche Smoothie (bought by mommy in hopes of completing missing nutrients in diet)

Gummy Bear vitamins(limited to one per day when Mommy remembers to give them to her)

Hello Kitty Fruit Juice flavored Gummy snacks (ate almost whole mini bag in one sitting before Mommy realized and took away, loud, angry crying with hot tears followed)

(Please don't turn me into the nutrition police)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is SO TRUE. My child eats a completely different spectrum of things, but a similarly weirdly limited diet, partially due to her pickiness and my lack of imagination. She will eat tomatoes -- ANY KIND of tomato -- so I give them to her AD NAUSEUM... I despite raw tomatoes and gag when she tries to feed them to me. But otherwise, her nutrition is questionable. Glad I'm not the only one.
Only solace is that WE weren't raised on whole grains and superfoods, yes? And we're fine... right???

Toffee said...

Thanks Frances, I fixed the comment issue. Ask Moxie definately explains the feeding issues very well. I always feel like I am a bad mother for not providing enough variety/ organic only/ homemade/ whole grain/ etc. and after reading all the posts and comments, I feel better.