Saturday, November 11, 2006

Adjustment Disorder

From Wikipedia:

In psychology, adjustment disorder refers to a psychological disturbance that develops in response to a stressor. Adjustment disorders are caused by specific sources of stress, such as severe personal crisis (divorce, death of loved one, recent abuse. recent job changes) or major unexpected negative events (tornado or fire destroys a person's home). The usual symptoms mimic depression, anxiety, or sleep disorder; however the disturbance disorder is short-term and can usually be treated with counseling or mild short-term medication. If the problem persists more than six months after removal of the stressor, the person may have a more permanent problem, such as a genuine mood or sleep disorder.

Well folks, going through infertility treatments for a few years, finally getting pregnant, the ups and downs of preterm bleeding, premature labor, NICU stay, and what not would qualify in my mind to be just as or more stressful than changing jobs in the workforce. DUH! Add sleep deprivation, a baby's needs in the 1st year, and witnessing your dh go about life in mostly the same manner as before baby (except for playtime with the wee one and asking me if I am sure about what I am doing to/with the baby), and I think we have a set up here for some psychological turmoil. I honestly think that I am finally beginning to emerge from my own bout with this. Now, not that everything I have, feel, or think has to have a diagnosis or a label, but somehow it makes me feel better that I am not really going crazy sometimes. There have been so many times in the last 2 years when I feel so out of control or teetering on the edge of it. And now, that feeling is much less intense and not felt as often. Of course, some of that is part of being a parent, being a mother. I just needed to think about this out loud, get it down on the blog and now, reflect, and hope that others might benefit from my own "ah ha" moment. Or I hope most of you just have more "ha, ha" moments....so here's a joke.


The perfect woman meets the perfect man and they have the perfect courtship, engagement, wedding, and honeymoon. They are driving to get home and it is Christmas. There is a hitchhiker and they pick him up. It is Santa Claus. The road is slick and they have a bad car accident. There is only one survivor. Who is it?







Answer: The perfect woman. Because there is no such thing as a perfect man or S.C.

(Well, actually I believe in the spirit of S.C)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that term, adjustment disorder. I especially like that it's SHORT-TERM, and once the stressor is removed, we don't have to be on Zoloft for the rest of our lives!
I can't imagine the level of stress you were under with your infertility/preterm baby, etc. But it's nice to know you on the "other side!"

Anonymous said...

OMG yes all the things you said and more. I too like the short-termness of the description, and I'm happy to hear you're emerging back to a better place. If it helps to know, I've felt unusually angry for the past 6 months, and I've directed most of it at hubby. I'm certain that it has something to do with what you've described.