Saturday, February 16, 2008

Preschool stress

I didn't think I was going to be doing this so soon....stressing over school for my kid. Well I did it a bit last year too over the parents day out program, huh! I went to visit the best preschool (at least that is what all my friends, family, etc. are telling me) in town and sent in an application. Apparently there was a huge baby boom 3 years ago and there is now a waiting list. There used to not be in the past years, but of course, now there is. It is probably the perfect school other that it is totally on the other side of our town, just about as far away as you can be from our house without going outside the city limits. I am thinking I am a weenie, but can I really handle getting up a hour earlier than usual, dressing wee one (who refused to change out of her pjs last week twice) and making the drive to get her to school at 8:15 and getting to work on time? No more lolling in bed while the nanny shows up or leisurely getting ready for mother's day out which starts at 9:30 am. I will keep my babysitter, hopefully she will be able to pick her up for lunch and nap in the afternoons.

This is a real school, going all the way up to 6th grade (we may or may not stay as we have good public schools). I am not really stressed about academic stuff or things like that, I just want wee one to have some everyday kid interactions and not just be out and about the town with the nanny. I have received some signs that this is the place: the principal taught my dh and my sil in high school, my 2 closest friends have their kids there, I keep running into people who go there. But the biggest obstacle may be this: toilet trained! Oh, well, if not by then, we'll do another year of more leisurely life.

2 comments:

Erica Kain said...

I hear you on this subject. Can we really get these ladies potty trained by the time they're supposed to start preschool? And what the heck preschool should we do?
Our favorite preschool goes up to 8th grade, and it's a 20 minute drive on a trafficky freeway to another town... versus all the ones that are in WALKING DISTANCE to our house.
One consolation about the potty training -- it doesn't have to be "complete" -- they can still wear diapers overnight and occasionally, usually. They just have to have the basics, as I understand it. Whew!

Toffee said...

Thanks Cheb's mom for continuing to be a faithful reader. I read some of your old entries on preschool to gain some insight on this topic.