Monday, October 13, 2008

Taking a day off at the movies

I decided to take a "day off" today. I know that sounds funny as I stopped my day job 2 weeks ago, but I decided that's what I would call this day. Wee one had the day off to from school and we had a little friend over to play. They played a little while, but her friend apparently is not much of a Monday person. Wee one and I baked apple turnovers and made hard boiled eggs and enjoyed our morning together. The nanny came at lunch and I went to get some lunch (low carb) and decided to see what was playing at the movies on a weekday afternoon. I ended up at the mall eating lots of veggies and a little protein at the cafeteria and catching "Fireproof" in the mall's cineplex (10!). For 1: 15 pm on a Monday, there were actually a lot of people in the theater. The $5 1st feature of the day ticket price probably didn't hurt either.

I knew it was a movie produced by a large Baptist church in Georgia about marriage and firefighting. I was actually quite impressed by the movie considering all the "amateurs" working on it. My favorite character in the movie, the lead's best friend is actually a full time Marine captain (Ken Bevel) who has never acted in a movie before. Considering a lot of crap that has been coming out of Hollywood lately, I really think it's time for more movies to be made by a larger variety of people like this one. I liked all the action scenes (wished actually there were more!) and cried a lot during the emotional scenes. It realistically portrays a lot of the emotions and trials as you work stuff out in a marriage/ difficult relationship as well as the temptations and distractions that can lead you away from your spouse. Some people might not be ready for the preachy parts, but I can say that there are a lot of things in a lot of other movies that I am often not ready for!

According to some web news on this movie, it cost $500,000 to make and it has already made $12.5 million at the box office. I think there is an audience out there for movies about family and marriage. I am waiting excitedly to see a movie that was previewed, "The Secret Life of Bees." I read the book but don't remember too much about it.

1 comment:

Irish Girl said...

Sounds like fun! I haven't been to a movie in a long time -- used to make it a habit of going alone in college.

I'm looking forward to Secret Life of Bees as well. I read it years ago and only remember that I liked the story.