Monday, November 05, 2007

A Wonderful Gift

Yesterday, I received a wonderful gift. I got a phone call from one of my best childhood friends whom I had not seen or heard from in over 18 years. We talked for a while and caught up on each others lives a bit. I have been feeling happy ever since. My friend and I had some very similar experiences while we were on our separate journeys and I feel her presence in my life, however short or long it may be, is a great gift. I often have a bit distorted memories as we all do of our "idyllic childhoods," but actually there were some parts that were painful and this friend, I believed went through a lot of things that I knew hurt her. As I was young and immature, all I could do was see the injustices, but not really do much. But I was able to express to her now that I felt for her and hoped our daughters wouldn't have to endure many mean girls. And she was grateful for that because, she believed, she was alone in those battles. Oh, how I wish I could have been able to tell her that long ago.

1 comment:

Erica Kain said...

Wow, that is terrific -- after 18 years! How did she find you?

What a wonderful moment of life coming full circle.