Sunday, April 22, 2007

Vacay Oh yay

I have been day dreaming about sleeping by myself in a hotel room again. I usually pay some attention to my daydreams as I finally realized it my subconscious trying to tell me something. Maybe it is because one of my mom friends told me she took a week's vacation by herself in Mexico. Actually my 1st reaction to that was, NO WAY I could be gone that long....maybe a weekend at most. However, I heard my own voice say out loud...I thought that was only a mom fantasy. She is a SAHM with 2 kids, now over age 4 so I could rationalize that she REALLY needed it. But, I have been doing a lot lately, not necessarily mom stuff, but other stuff, so there is the reason for my daydream...I want some rest from my whole life. Just a night or 2.

But see the thing is that I just cancelled on a trip this summer that I could have taken by myself or with dh, but he thought we should take wee one too. I finally decided that because most of the trip involved many meetings I would have to attend sans family, that I could not devote any meaningful attention to either meetings or family so I let someone else have the opportunity. So now, after a talk with dh, my conclusion is that he and I will get away for a weekend somewhere to rest/ have fun while GP/ GM take care of wee one this summer. But (here's that BIG but again), can I spend one or 2 nights away from wee one? The irrational part of me thinks that if I am not there something will happen. Is that mommy guilt? Paranoia? Fear after going though ART to get this precious thing that I have to guard her 24/7? I think that is doable for me...just a short break.

2 comments:

Dee said...

I'm so glad I took a few mini-vacations away just for me/us. Our first trip was when J was about 6 months old (New Year's in Vegas). It was lovely. Since then we've done several others and I did get 5 days with my SIL on a girl's trip last August. It's just so nice not to have any 'schedule' or be at the beck and call of the little one(s).

I bet you'll have a great time and wonder when you can do it again.

Enjoy!

Erica Kain said...

Hey there -- I echo Dee's sentiments. I was very reluctant to spend time away from Chebbles after so much reproductive drama, but it was essential for us -- we went to wine country. And sleeping in together was so AWESOME. Like dating all over again! Good luck!