Monday, July 23, 2012

Playing House

Nora. What do you consider my most sacred duties? Helmer. Do I need to tell you that? Are they not your duties to your husband and your children? Nora. I have other duties just as sacred. Helmer. That you have not. What duties could those be? Nora. Duties to myself. Helmer. Before all else, you are a wife and a mother. Nora. I don't believe that any longer. I believe that before all else I am a reasonable human being, just as you are--or, at all events, that I must try and become one. I know quite well, Torvald, that most people would think you right, and that views of that kind are to be found in books; but I can no longer content myself with what most people say, or with what is found in books. I must think over things for myself and get to understand them. "A Doll's House" Henrik Ibsen

1 comment:

Erica Kain said...

I wonder if there is a middle ground between being a wife and mother and relishing that position WHILE being a reasonable person?

Well, as for me, as long as I'm cleaning up 500 Panda Puffs all over my daughter's bedroom, reasonable is not possible.