Sunday, April 22, 2012

Mean Girls?

My dh and I have been very fortunate over the years of our marriage to have some very good friends, nice acquaintences, and genuinely sincere people in the social parts of our lives. That's why it's puzzling to us that there was some strange behavior on the part of a person who was part of a group we had plans with. Due to various issues, our plans had to be cancelled. This person notified me and I replied ok. My dh said, why don't you ask them to do something with us since they would be free now too. This person replied, oh, I think I am going to do xyz. Fine and good. However later in the day near dinner time, they called us and asked us to go to dinner. As we had already made other plans, we declined.

I did mention we and another couple in the original group had decided to go out the next night and they were welcome to come - I even had a sitter willing to watch their kid too. She said, Sounds great! So the next day, I saw this person's spouse and he said oh, we missed you guys last night. So I mentioned the next dinner, and they said, oh, we can't make it because of xyz and but we're going to lunch right now if you want to go. xyz was kind of a weird excuse again. (We didn't go to lunch due to our schedule)


I am pretty secure so I can blow this off or just write off that this person had
weird social skills. Perhaps she is just too honest and doesn't see that it is kind of off-putting to others. I think my dh was more bothered about it than I!

1 comment:

Erica Kain said...

That is odd. Sometimes it's so difficult to interpret signals, particularly when there might be two different signals coming from two different people in a couple!

I posted something similar on my blog way back in 2007, and as a result, that friend dumped me for always and forever. She felt I'd publicly insulted her because she'd arbitrarily cancelled plans with my family and I wrote that I was baffled by her behavior, not mentioning her name or any other identifying characteristic.

Whatever people! We're such fun/hilarious/wonderful company, I just can't imagine why people wouldn't want to be with us all the time! :-)