Sunday, December 12, 2010

Scary day

Yesterday, Lala was eating lunch when suddenly it seemed like she fell asleep with her eyes open. I thought, well, she is tired from a busy morning and it is past her usual nap time. I changed her diaper and put her down in the crib and noted she was very calm, eyes wide and straight ahead. I picked her up when I notice she wasn't responding to me as usual. Her arms and legs started shaking and she looked pale and ashy. I had a cold, chilling feeling go thru me as I picked her up and started patting her and calling her name. I yelled for my other daughter to get the phone. Then she gagged and vomited up some mucous. She cried, looked like herself again and then snuggled into me. Shaking, I held her and my mom brain, barely functioning. My doctor brain turned on and I thought about that it sure did look like a seizure. Her breathing slowed to normal and she fell asleep.

My dh came home a few moments later and noted she was burning up. She took some water and when she was alert I gave her some tylenol. At that point, I was trying to figure out if she had choked or had had a seizure, one associated with fever. Should I take her to the ER or just watch how she does. I held her and was reassured by her calm, normal breathing. She woke up about 30 min. later and was normal acting, if a bit grumpy and needing to be held. Her fever was down and she drank milk hungrily.

I have treated and counseled many patients on the condition of febrile seizure and have seen it, but it is certainly different when it is my own child. I watched her like a hawk since and she had no temperature more than 99 and then all normal today since afternoon. I examined her ears and throat and lungs and all looked ok. I'll seen how she is in the morning and call the pediatrician if anything is awry.

2 comments:

dee said...

Simply terrifying. Having been through a full on jerking, unfocused stare, 105 degree febrile seizure with D, I can sympathize completely. It's one thing when it's a patient, I'm sure, and another when it's your own child.

Glad to hear she's been okay since then :)

Erica Kain said...

That is TERRIFYING, I'm so glad that both of you are OK. I'm so impressed by how you kicked yourself into gear and didn't panic. Keep us posted on what the Dr. says, but it sounds like all is calm.